Maple Grove’s own regatta features unique and one-of-a-kind creations built to float a case of soda pop (24 cans). Build a vessel designed to show humor, style and flair but make sure the soda doesn’t get wet as it floats down the Lazy River.
Site: Grove Cove Aquatic Center, outdoor pool down the Lazy River
Who: Teens and older and families. Open to all viewing audience.
Prizes: 1st Place $50; 2nd Place $30; 3rd Place $15
- The goal is for your team to build a homemade boat that can float a 24pk of pop without getting the pop wet.
- The craft will be scored based on Creativity, Design, and Seaworthiness.
- Boats should be homemade and not pre-made boats bought at a store.
- No tacks, straight pins, or crate paper can be used.
- No Breakable items can be used and any craft may be rejected if contamination or damage to the river is possible.
- The boats will need to be guided by a member of your team who is in the water through the Lazy River at Grove Cove, which is 3½ feet deep, and the boat must survive the whole river, please no motors.
- Both cube and rectangular 24 packs of pop will be supplied. For safety reasons you will not be able to ride your craft.
- Please provide a Facts Sheet on the day of the Event. The Sheet should include who helped make it, a group name, and any fun facts about the craft that you can think of. This sheet will be read during your run.
- Participants should arrive at the outdoor entrance to the pool at least 15 minutes early.