Maple Grove’s own regatta features unique and one-of-a-kind creations built to float a case of soda pop (24 cans). Build a vessel designed to show humor, style and flair but make sure the soda doesn’t get wet as it floats down the Lazy River.
Site: Grove Cove Aquatic Center, outdoor pool down the Lazy River
Who: Teens and older and families. Open to all viewing audience.
Prizes: 1st Place $50; 2nd Place $30; 3rd Place $15
- Have your team build a homemade boat that can float a 24pk of pop without getting the pop wet.
- The craft will be scored based on Creativity, Design, and Seaworthiness.
- Boats should be homemade and not pre-made boats bought at a store.
- No tacks, straight pins or crepe paper can be used.
- No Breakable items can be used and any craft may be rejected if contamination or damage to the river is possible.
- Boats will need to be guided by a member of your team who is in the water through the Lazy River at Grove Cove, which is 3½ feet deep. The boat must survive the whole river. No motors.
- Both cube and rectangular 24 packs of pop will be supplied. You will not be able to ride your craft, for safety reasons.
- Provide a Facts Sheet on the day of the Event. Sheet should include who helped make it, group name and any fun facts about the craft you can think of. This sheet will be read during your run.
- Participants should arrive at the outdoor entrance to the pool at least 15 minutes early.